The Black Church
On the north-western side of the Council Square rises the imposing Black Church (Biserica Neagra). It used to be called St. Marys Church from 1385, when the construction works began, to the fire in 1689. After the fire, due to the colour of the blackened outer walls, it received the name of The Black Church and it is known as a symbol of the Transylvanian Gothic art. Remarkable from this point of view are the 5 portals made during the late 15th century, very richly decorated, specific of the last stage of the Gothic art and representative of the flamboyant style of the central and eastern Europe. The church shelters the largest and most valuable collection of Oriental rugs (over 100). The pews constitute another element of patrimony of the Black Church, together with the renowned 4000-pipe organ, that was installed in 1839.